The key strategic objectives of the WATERSPY are:
- Develop compact photonics to identify selected heterotrophic bacterial cells in the water. Specificity and sensitivity levels will respect regulatory requirements.
- Validate the cost-effectiveness and suitability of the propose technology for large area coverage.
The Scientific and Technical objectives of the WATERSPY are the following:
- Develop the WaterSpy device’s ancillary systems: cooling, sample pre-concentration and electronics
- Develop the antibody-based mechanism (smart surface) to capture the bacteria on the microfluidic channel’s surface, in order to further increase detection accuracy and specificity
- Develop the microfluidic flow cell and ATR configuration
- Develop the fibre-coupled, fast and sensitive HOT photodetectors, operating in the 6-10 μm spectral range, for the identification of the selected analytes of high importance
- Develop the tuneable quantum cascade laser sources, operating in the 5.7-9.3 μm spectral range, for the identification of the selected analytes of high importance.
- Develop the optimized concept of light modulation and detection together with signal processing concept
- Integrate the developed sensors into a single, portable instrument (WaterSpy device)
- Validate the device in real-world conditions in two different scenarios.